One student's adventure in the anthropology of food.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Importance of Knowledge

This course has taught me so much more than I ever expected. It has been a fantastic journey through a world that I was only vaguely aware of. Coming from a farm-girl background, I am embarrassed to say that there were many dozens of things that I had little or no knowledge of. Genetic manipulation of foods, over-milking of cows, the horrors that factory farmed animals have to go through, the amount of corn in our diets, the great degree to which farmers are losing money, and the amount of processed foods that we consume are just a few things that I can list in the category of new knowledge.

I am a fairly laid back person, but to read books like Ozeki's and Pollan's and to see films like The Future of Food really affect me. I am ashamed that I was not more aware of the situation of our food, but I truly believe that I am only one grain of sand in a desert. Information and education are key in this problem we have with our food, and it is indeed a problem. I urge everyone to spread the word, do what they can to discourage the practices they don't like, and make the world a better, greener, healthier place.